How To Record Laptop Screen | Practical Guide
Record Laptop Screen- Recording your notebook screen can be useful when you want to share content such as tutorials and game demos. Fortunately, Windows 11 and macOS users have options available to accomplish this task conveniently and effectively.
How to Record Laptop Screen with Windows 11
Recording Windows 11 screen does not rely on third-party apps, although you can use them for more advanced purposes. Microsoft ‘s own system offers an integrated tool called the Snipping Tool, which allows you to record images of everything that is happening on the screen.
Follow the instructions below to record your screen with the Snipping Tool:
- Open the Start menu;
- Look for the Snipping Tool app;
- Press the camera button to record video;
- Click “New”;
- Click and drag with the mouse to select the area you want to record;
- Press “Start” to start recording.
After finishing recording, press the “Stop” button and confirm whether you want to share or save the video. Be aware of some important limitations of the tool:
- Snipping Tool does not support audio recording.
- The only available output format is MP4;
- There is no keyboard shortcut to start a recording like there is for screenshot .
How to record screen using Xbox Game Bar
Xbox Game Bar is a tool present in Windows 10 and Windows 11 that provides essential features for users who often play games or perform other activities with applications in full screen.
To start a screen recording, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows + G keys on your keyboard to open the Xbox Game Bar;
- In the “Capture” window, click the circle icon or press Windows + Alt + R to start screen recording.
- To end recording, click the icon with a white square or press Windows + Alt + R again.
- Access recordings in the “Captures” folder located in the “Videos” folder in File Explorer.
Note that this tool does not allow capturing the desktop or system folders.
How to Record Windows Screen by App or Extension
If you need apps with additional features for screen recording and you are using Windows 10 or earlier, you can find solutions offered by third parties, such as:
- Screen Recorder for Windows ( Windows ): Allows you to easily capture screen content in video format with features of multi-format support, high output quality, customization options and audio addition.
- OBS Studio ( Windows , macOS ): Popular open source application for streaming and recording media content. With it, it is possible to use advanced capture features with high quality videos, support for multiple video and audio sources and integration with the main streaming platforms.
- ShareX ( Windows ): open source program with versatile functionalities for recording videos on the computer. It offers many features such as screen capture in specific windows, audio capture and easy sharing with audio and video hosting services.
How to record macOS screen
On Mac notebooks, you can use the native macOS tool called Screenshot to record your computer’s screen. Look:
- Open Launchpad;
- Search for the “Screenshot” app:
- Click “Record entire screen” or “Record selected part” option;
- Click “Record” to start capturing screen video;
- To stop recording, click the stop button on the macOS menu bar.
After finishing the recording, the content is automatically saved in the Mesa folder with MOV format. If you want to capture video on mobile devices, check out how to record Android and iPhone screen .